Ice Bucket or Claret Jug?????

The week after the Christmas break I decided to replace the ice bucket we had sold in December. Not having made one of these for a couple of years I had to stop and think how? The main difficulty with the making of this piece is the very long solder seam in the body which is about 10″ long and if it is to be perfect in every way including strong and invisible it will surely test the skills of any silversmith.One thing if you are doing this regularly, but another matter if not!

This ice bucket was no exception in that the solder seam failed miserably. It was weak (broke at every attempt to move it) and highly visable. After several attempts to repair it I decided not to proceed and to scrap it.

All was not lost however as most of the area was good it was only the seam area which was bad, mainly due to the thinness from subsequent repair attempts. After cutting out the seam area the ice bucket was returned once more to a flat sheet and 4 x 4″ diameter discs were cut from it. These discs became claret jug neck components therefore saving 80% of the ice bucket material.

Such a malleable metal silver, especially if purchased from a reliable source, in this case Cookson Precious metals.

Two Diana’s – Goddess of Love!

I have been a brasssmith this week. An antique dealer found me via an Internet search probably deciding that a silversmith was the best person to make some missing bits on two figurines that he had bought. In this case it was a bronze of the Greek goddess Diana who standing on one leg on a rock should have been holding a bow aloft. Unfortunately the bow was missing.

Enter the Silversmith. The bow should be in two parts, either side of her hand and held in place by screw threads. Apparently last week he bought another of the same at auction with, would you believe, her bow missing too.

In theory the second bow should be easier to make than the first but who knows I have not seen it yet.

I must say though I do enjoy a challenge!